Kron Gracie Slams Meregali As He Pulls Out Of Pena Match And Calls For Lifetime Ban

Nicholas Meregali has pulled out of his scheduled third meeting with Felipe Pena, announcing the decision in a video posted to Instagram just days before the pair were set to headline the jiu-jitsu portion of the Spaten Fight Night card on August 29 in Brazil.

In the video, Meregali said he spent several days weighing the decision before concluding he was not mentally or physically ready to compete. He said he did not feel confident heading into the match and believed Pena would be in a stronger position, adding that he was not comfortable or happy with where he stood going into the fight. Meregali acknowledged the significance of the bout, noting it was set to be broadcast on Globo and represented a major moment for jiu-jitsu, but said he ultimately felt withdrawing was the right call. He apologized to his fans, Pena’s fans, and the Spaten organizers, and said he would help the promotion find a replacement to preserve the event’s exposure for the sport.

The withdrawal quickly drew a strong reaction from Kron Gracie, who posted a video response questioning the decision. Gracie argued that pulling out simply because a competitor doesn’t feel one hundred percent reflects a loss of the traditional spirit of martial arts, and suggested Meregali should face a lifetime ban over the move.

The reaction adds another layer to what had already been a heated buildup between Meregali and Pena, with fans on social media closely following weeks of back-and-forth trash talk ahead of the scheduled trilogy bout. With Meregali now out, attention shifts to whether Spaten can find a replacement opponent for Pena in time to keep the card’s jiu-jitsu showcase intact, and to how the grappling community continues to respond to the withdrawal in the run-up to ADCC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *